Multi-purpose furniture can greatly enhance life for Older Adults suffering from Dementia and other conditions, they not only delight but encourage engagement and interaction which can be extremely fulfilling. We provide a wide range of multi-purpose furniture which we recently had the opportunity to present to clients at Edmund Street – a local activity centre for the elderly and those with additional needs. The response from the clients to the furniture was extremely heart-warming to watch and we were able to capture some great photography.
Deluxe 8 Colour Wirefree Controller
The 8 way switch provides endless interactive possibilities. It can be wirelessly connected to other furniture in a room, resulting in immersive colour changes at the touch of a button. This acted as a great talking point for colour preferences and helped to reinforce cause and effect. The switch not only acts as visual stimulation but provides audio too, much to the delight of the clients, the switch ‘speaks’ the number on the button when pressed. When linked to the correct software, the switch also plays musical notes when buttons are pressed. This was particularly popular with the clients as they were able to produce high and low notes themselves and to play their own songs.
Please click here for more information on our Deluxe 8 Colour Wirefree Controller https://www.rompa.com/8-colour-wirefree-controller-1.html
Grandfather Glow Clock
The first comment we had regarding our Grandfather Glow Clock was how great it looked in a room. It provides a beautiful, classical timepiece with added sensory benefits. The outside of the clock glows in a variety of different colours. When used with the 8 way switch, this provided obvious enjoyment for the clients at Edmund Street.
For more information on our Grandfather Glow Clock click here: https://www.olderadults.co.uk/grandfather-glow-clock.html
The infinity table fitted perfectly around the sofas at Edmund Street and immediately provided a striking and functional centrepiece for a couple of clients to focus on. The LED lights give the illusion of continuation within the table. This proved a hit when paired up with the 8 way colour switch. The colour changes provided a great talking point.
For more information on our Infinity Table click here https://www.olderadults.co.uk/infinity-table.html
To find out more about our entire Multi-Purpose furniture range, visit our Older Adults website: https://www.olderadults.co.uk/reminiscence/house-home.html
Hi its me again. I’ve had the chance to play with some more products from Rompa and Winslow.
The first couple of products were the ‘Soothersack‘ and the ‘huggabuddies cat‘. I loved the cat and so did my son. Not only does is it quite heavy so it provides pressure, the soft fur is also a nice sensory experience.
The Soothersack is your standard pillow which you warm in the microwave and then can place on certain parts of your body to relieve aches and pains or across a child’s knees again to help ground them. Essential oils can be added to the pillow to help with relaxation. The ‘huggabuddies’ cat was a lot better for me as I sat with it snuggled on my shoulder with the heat going where I wanted it too whereas the pillow, as I’m sure many of you know, loses its filling to either end of the pillow so there was no heat on the top of my shoulder where I wanted it.
These two pieces of kit are nice to help your child but also nice to have around for when you might (if miracles occur) get 10 minutes relaxation to yourself!
I would give them both 3 stars.
Another product which I looked at was the ‘Tangle Therapy’ toy. Again, a product which I’m sure many of you will have come across. I particularly liked this version as it was a bit larger than others I have seen. It is not recommended for children under 3 as the pieces can be separated and potentially swallowed, but with older children I have found they enjoy taking the tangle toys to pieces as it provides a nice clicking noise! Some of the sections also had a clear rubber coating with small raised bobbles. I did wonder if these would get picked off over time though.
On the whole I felt this deserved 4 stars
Our attention has recently been drawn to a potential issue that could cause damage to Portable Midi Bubble Tube units (18516), purchased through Rompa before the 1st October 2014. If you have purchased this item you will receive a letter containing this advisory statement, a plastic fitting and some warning stickers.
An issue may arise if an INCORRECT connector is inserted into the socket that is intended for the use of the Rompa Interactive Switch Box (17274) only. This socket, located on the unit’s base, is an RJ45 (or network) socket. Please see the image above.
We would like to take this opportunity to advise you how you can avoid this issue and to provide you with a fixture that will help eliminate such a possibility.
- Firstly, you MUST NOT use the socket for anything other than its intended use i.e. connection of the Rompa Interactive Switch Box (17274).
- Secondly, you should insert the plastic fitting, included with your letter, so that it covers the socket to prevent it being used for any reason other than with a Rompa Interactive Switch Box (17274).
- Thirdly, you should apply the stickers, enclosed with your letter, to the base of the unit so that clear messages are visible.
- Please confirm receipt of these instructions by completing and returning the slip attached to your letter.
Using an incorrect connector may cause an electrical short across two of the contacts inside the socket. If this happens the unit may suffer an internal connection cable failure which may disable your unit. This can also cause smoke vapour to escape the base unit and this may set off any fire alarms in the vicinity. Tests by the manufacturer have proven that the unit would not ignite into flames as it has safety devices to prevent this.
If you have any questions and or concerns please contact us as follows:
Telephone +44 (0) 1246 211777
E mail – S[email protected] please quote ref. PMBT
What is Tobii Gaze Viewer
Tobii Gaze Viewer works as an assessment tool for SLTs (SLPs), teachers, parents, educational psychologists or anyone else wanting a better understanding of the user’s capabilities.
Tobii Gaze Viewer
With Tobii Gaze Viewer and a Tobii assistive technology eye tracker you can record real eye tracking data from any application like the Internet, e-books, games, movies and more. You can save the data as single images or movies, with heat maps and gaze plots and use it to assess an individual’s physical capabilities and cognitive understanding and for making simple reports for eye gaze assessments, clinics, schoolwork, reading comprehension, clinical comprehension and much more – all done easily and instantaneously.
What can Tobii Gaze Viewer be used for?
There are virtually limitless assessment and testing uses for Tobii Gaze Viewer, some of them are:
- Comprehension testing
- Reading/literacy assessments
- Cognitive/processing delay assessments
- Reminiscence testing
- Low pressure testing environments for children
- Proving cognition in low functioning adults
- Validating the potential use of an eye tracking AAC device for communication
Assess. Understand. Report. Easily with Gaze VIewer
The tagline of Tobii Gaze Viewer is “Assess. Understand. Report. Easily.” and Tobii have tried to build all of their marketing communication around it.
Assess – Tobii Gaze Viewer can be used to assess an individual’s physical and cognitive understanding. It helps to answer several questions like: Can the user see the screen? Can they select a button? Do they recognize certain items?
Understand – Use Tobii Gaze Viewer to understand, not only the end result of an action, but also the process for getting there. Discover what content is right for an individual user, if they are looking at relevant information or following along while you are reading.
Report – With Tobii Gaze Viewer you get undisputable, recorded proof of an individual’s current abilities and skills as well as how they develop over time.
At Rompa we’re very excited about the potential of Tobii products to improve the quality of life for those with restricted movement by allowing them to engage and communicate with family and carers more easily.
Rompa are really happy to announce that we will be selling Tobii Technology products.
‘Tobii is the world’s leading vendor of eye tracking and eye control: a technology that makes it possible for computers to know exactly where users are looking. Our technology is widely used in various research fields and as a means to control computers.’
In the photos below you can see Leila in our sensory room creating fire with her eyes (probably not the first time this has happened!)
We will be bringing you more information soon!
At Rompa we focus on the individual using the product, rather than the disorder being treated. So when our customers gave us feedback on one of our core product lines, the Rompa Bubble Tube, we listened. We took this popular product back to the drawing board, the end result is an easier to maintain and more robust bubble tube, here’s why:
Easier filling and draining
- The new valve is accessed from the outside of the chassis so the cover does not have to be removed. A drainage pipe can be removed and stored separately.
- Drainage pipe pushes in and is removed by pressing the grey button. The drainage valve automatically closes once the drainage pipe is removed.
- A filling pump is available from Rompa that connects to the drainage valve and the bubble tube power supply for easy filling – immerge the orange part of the pump in a bucket for easy filling from the bottom. This means the tube’s power is disconnected from the base to be used to power the pump. This is especially helpful for taller bubble tubes and bubble tubes in Canopies. We believe we are the only sensory provider who offers this.
Slimmer base: reduced from 15 to 11cm high approximately
- Allows more room in a cushioned platform (for light sources etc).
- Better stability.
- Reduction in weight: 2.8kg (5kg before).
Simpler, safer chassis
- The metal chasis has been replaced by an a robust, lighter weight plastic chassis.
- The removal of the metal has allowed the base to be slimmer. The chassis is now more rigid because of the undulations in the plastic.
- The electronics are fully encased by a plastic box with in the chasis– should water be accidentally tipped into the chassis, the electronics are protected.
Improvements to remote control (removal of the USB port)
- Control of colours comes from the easy to use 8 Colour Wirefree Controller (sold separately). Therefore no programming is required.
- With only two sockets of completely different sizes and shape (power and switch box connections), it is impossible to connect the switch box to the wrong socket.
- Compatible with all Rompa Wi Fi products.
Even brighter LEDs
- These are now even brighter than before and but still last hundreds of thousands of hours so no bulbs to change. LEDs are also cool-running, very energy efficient and give lots of options for colour control with Wi Fi controllers.
Bubble Tubes are truly multi-sensory product and connect with the user at a visual, tactile and auditory level. Their calming, relaxing and mesmerising qualities make them an essential part of any multi sensory environment.