Chewy Tubes - Pack of Two (Red)
An innovative oral motor device designed to provide a resilient, non-food chewable surface for practising biting and chewing skills. Originally designed to be used with the Jaw Rehabilitation Program they offer a safe, non-toxic surface and are latex- and lead-free. They provide proprioceptive input to the mouth joints (sensations from joints, muscles and connective tissues that underlie body awareness).
Chewy Tubes® are used by therapists to
- provide intra-oral sensory input
- initiate jaw opening and closing skill
- create up/down jaw action needed for feeding and speech
- strengthen muscle function for mature biting and chewing skills and
- rehabilitate the jaw after surgery, trauma or stroke
Chewy Tubes® are available in packs of two and six.
Chewy Tubes® should be inspected before each use and replaced when signs of wear become visible. Chewy Tubes may be cleaned by washing with mild soap and water.
Yellow Chewy Tubes®
- The narrowest Chewy Tube®
- For children – for those who show defensiveness to sensory input in the mouth
- For those with smaller mouths
- Typically for children 9 to 24 months or for adults with a small jaw; those recovering from stroke or from jaw surgery to preserve the masseter muscle for feeding skills
Red Chewy Tubes®
- Has a wider biteable stem
- Intended for children 2 years and over
- Most children start with the yellow tube and move up to the red
- Adults who use the red version include those undergoing stroke rehabilitation exercises and post-stroke interventions as well as those undergoing post-radiation treatment of the jaw
Green Chewy Tubes®
- Has bumps on the stem for additional oral input and tactile stimulation for the mouth
- Intended for users 3 years and over
Blue Chewy Tubes®
- Largest and firmest of Chewy Tubes®
- Intended for adolescent- / adult-sized jaw
- Intended for those with developmental disabilities or those with Autism or those with sensory processing difficulties
How are Chewy Tubes® Used?
Chewy Tubes® provide tactile input at the location of the molar dentation / molar gums.
- Present the long bitable stem of one Chewy Tube® laterally into the right (or left) side of the mouth.
- Place the biteable stem of the Chewy Tube® on the cutting surface of the molar teeth or gums.
- Encourage repetitive biting down on the Chewy Tube® to target jaw stability and provide sensory input into the jaw.